Israelis, Palestinians Agree to Meet Monday for Wide-Ranging Talks

Published January 15th, 2001 - 02:00 GMT

Negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians would resume Monday, after a meeting due to be held Sunday night was cancelled, Palestinian Information Minister Yasser Abed Rabbo told AFP. 

The two sides will pick up negotiations where they left off Saturday night after a meeting in Gaza City, presided over by former prime minister Shimon Peres and Palestinian President Yasser Arafat.  

Neither will be attending the Monday session however, said the agency. 

The Palestinians had cancelled a security meeting planned for Sunday with former Israeli chief of staff Amnon Lipkin-Shahak.  

The Israeli security cabinet member was to meet Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erakat at the Erez border crossing between Israel and the northern Gaza Strip. 

"We have cancelled the meeting after Israel's insistence that it concern only security issues," said a Palestinian official, who requested anonymity. 

"We want to continue discussions of a political nature and not be limited to security," the official said. 

According to Haaretz newspaper, a Palestinian source told Israeli Radio that the Palestinians cancelled Sunday's meeting because "Israel is not fulfilling its side of agreements for calming the violence in the territories." 

However, Prime Minister Ehud Barak's security advisor, Gillad Sher rejected the Palestinian accusations, and said that Israel is acting according to the agreements reached last week. 

On Saturday, Arafat and Peres met in Gaza for about two hours, but there was no progress in their talks -- Albawaba.com 

 

 

 

© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)


© 2000 - 2022 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like