Jordan’s King Abdullah offers condolences to Hattar family

Published September 30th, 2016 - 10:00 GMT
Jordanians gather at the site where prominent Jordanian writer Nahed Hattar was shot dead the previous day outside an Amman court, during a vigil on September 26, 2016. (AFP/Khalil Mazraawi)
Jordanians gather at the site where prominent Jordanian writer Nahed Hattar was shot dead the previous day outside an Amman court, during a vigil on September 26, 2016. (AFP/Khalil Mazraawi)

Jordan's King Abdullah visited the family of the late writer Nahed Hattar in Fuheis on Thursday to pay condolences, affirming that Jordanians denounce the cowardly criminal act that targeted him.

King Abdullah strongly condemned the crime, describing it as “uncharacteristic of Jordanians and alien to our culture,” a Royal Court statement said.

During the visit, the King stressed that since the establishment of the Kingdom, Jordanians — Muslims and Christians — have unwaveringly embraced the spirit of a united family, standing together in solidarity against extremism, violence and bigotry.

King Abdullah was accompanied by Prime Minister Hani Mulki and Royal Court Chief Fayez Tarawneh.

Hattar was laid to rest in his hometown of Fuheis, about 8 miles northwest of Amman, on Wednesday.

The journalist, facing trial for sharing a caricature that was considered insulting to religious beliefs, was on his way to attend a court hearing when he was shot dead on Sunday. 

The committee investigating the killing concluded that the suspected shooter was acting alone, according to the Public Security Department (PSD).

The PSD said earlier this week that the committee referred all its findings to the prosecutor.

The suspect, identified as Riad Abdullah, a 49-year-old resident of east Amman, told investigators he was acting alone in response to the cartoon shared by Hattar on social media that he believed was “offensive” to religious beliefs.

An examination of the suspected shooter’s computer and other devices confirmed he had no accomplices, the PSD added.

The suspect was ordered detained for 14 days pending further investigation, the statement said, adding that the Criminal Court prosecutor charged the man with premeditated murder and decided to refer him to the State Security Court (SSC) on terrorism charges.

The SSC has issued a gag order banning all forms of publication regarding the case.


© Copyright The Jordan Times. All rights reserved.

You may also like