Ethnic Albanian separatists and Serbian police have agreed a cease-fire after days of fighting in southeastern Serbia, the NATO-led peacekeeping force here told AFP Saturday.
Serbia had threatened to return to the demilitarized zone around Kosovo if the KFOR peacekeepers failed to put an end guerrilla attacks by Monday.
"The Serbian ministry of interior police and the armed group of Presevo valley agreed a cease-fire last night," said KFOR spokesman Flight Lieutenant Mark Whitty.
Whitty said the fledgling cease-fire brokered by the peacekeeping force appeared to be holding through its first hours.
"KFOR continues to monitor the situation. There was no report of firing this morning" in the five-kilometer (three-mile) wide security zone, where Serbian police have come under continued attack since Tuesday.
Three Serbian police are listed as missing, presumed dead, following the fighting.
The violence and the ultimatum overshadowed the EU-Balkans Summit in Zagreb, where Yugoslav President Vojislav Kostunica dubbed the Kosovo issue "the biggest problem in Europe," and called into question the future of last year's cease-fire agreement between NATO and Belgrade -- PRISTINA (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)