Kuwait has cancelled the residencies of more than sixty Lebanese nationals, who were proven to have links to Hezbollah, a report said Monday.
The Interior Ministry’s Assistant Undersecretary of Citizenship and Passports Affairs Maj. Gen. Mazen Al-Jarrah told the Kuwaiti daily Al-Qabas that more 60 Lebanese citizens have up to two months to settle their financial situations before being deported from the country. He said those labeled “dangerous” have been given just 48 hours to leave Kuwait.
The report comes amid a heightened campaign by Gulf countries against Hezbollah, which the six-member Gulf Cooperation Council designated as a “terror” group earlier this month.
“The security of Kuwait is a red line and it cannot be bypassed by individuals belonging to parties and those ideologies prohibited in Kuwaiti society,” Jarrah said.
He revealed that deportation is not only limited to Arab nationals, but that a “U.S. citizen” was also told to leave.
Jarrah said the Kuwaiti Interior Ministry is exerting continuous efforts to track down anyone who is linked to Hezbollah after the group was blacklisted by the GCC last month.
The senior security official said that there is coordination between Gulf countries to limit the number of “undesirables” to come to work in the region.
A week ago, Kuwait announced the deportation of 11 Lebanese and three Iraqis with alleged links to Hezbollah, while Bahrain announced a similar move a week earlier.
Earlier this month, a report published in the same newspaper said that Kuwait is set to expel around 1,100 Lebanese and Syrians over alleged links to Hezbollah.
Copyright © 2019, The Daily Star. All rights reserved.