Kuwait: Iraqi Apology no Longer Sufficient for Reconciliation

Published April 10th, 2001 - 02:00 GMT

Kuwait said on Monday that an apology from Iraq is no longer sufficient for reconciliation, calling for guarantees from Baghdad that it would never invade again, reported the official KUNA news agency. 

"Apology is a necessary step, but is not enough (for reconciliation)," State Minister for Foreign Affairs Sheikh Mohammad al-Sabah told reporters. 

"We want guarantees that Iraq will never repeat its aggression and outrageous action of forcing Kuwaitis out of their homes," said Sheikh Mohammad before leaving for France, Britain and the United States to explain Kuwait's position. 

"These are legitimate demands that were supported by all Arab countries at the Amman summit except Iraq," the minister said. 

Arab leaders meeting in Amman last month failed to strike a compromise deal between the two countries. 

Iraq rejected a declaration drafted by Arab leaders aimed at solving the issue of Iraqi-Kuwaiti relations, 10 years after a US-led coalition ousted Iraqi troops from Kuwait following the 1990 invasion and seven months of occupation. 

Iraq and Kuwait have traded blame for the failure of reconciliation efforts, while Jordan's King Abdullah II was chosen to lead efforts to find a way out of the impasse. 

Sheikh Mohammad is one of three senior Kuwaiti emissaries dispatched abroad to explain the emirate's stance on Iraq. 

Information Minister Sheikh Ahmad Fahad al-Ahmad is touring the six Gulf states, while former oil minister Sheikh Saud Nasser al-Sabah is visiting Russia, China, Turkey and Iran. 

During his visit to Russia, the Kuwait official held talks with President Vladimir Putin and Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov. 

Ivanov was quoted by KUNA as saying that Russia is willing to mediate in the conflict between the two countries – Albawaba.com  

 

© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)


© 2000 - 2019 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like