More than 20 Kuwaiti terror suspects on Tuesday denied they were linked to Lebanon’s Hezbollah movement, saying confessions were extracted under physical torture, AFP reported.
All 23 suspects told Kuwaiti judge Mohammad al-Duajj they were subjected to systematic beatings and electric shock, and even threatened with death if they refused to sign “prepared confessions”.
The suspects have been charged with smuggling and assembling weapons for use in a plot against the Gulf state in collaboration with Iran an Hezbollah after a large amount of ammunition and explosives were discovered during a raid of the alleged “terror cell”.
Hassan Abdulhadi Hassan, the main suspecting the case, told the court the weapons had been handed to him by a member of the ruling al-Sabah family during the 1990-91 Iraqi invasion and occupation, AFP reported.
“I have been hiding these arms on the orders of Sheikh Athbi Al-Sabah. We used these weapons in the resistance against the Iraqi troops,” Hassan told the court.
The judge denied the prosecution’s request for a medical examination to investigate the claims of torture and set September 29 for the next hearing.
© 2000 - 2020 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)