Lebanon’s court charge 28 involved in Tripoli suicide attack

Published January 20th, 2015 - 01:05 GMT

Lebanon's top military court charged 28 people Tuesday over suspected involvement in the recent twin suicide attack in Tripoli, a judicial source told The Daily Star.

Of the 28, only four are in custody, including three whose arrests were announced by the Army last week.

The remaining 24 included the jihadi duo Osama Mansour and Shadi Mawlawi, the source said.

Mansour and Mawlawi are considered the masterminds of the jihadi network behind the attack, he added. They were charged with recruiting suicide bombers and equipping them with explosive belts.

Judge Saqr Saqr referred the cases to military investigative judge Riad Abu Ghayda.

The twin bombings that occurred in the majority Alawite neighborhood of Jabal Mohsen earlier this month killed nine people and wounded more than 30.


Copyright © 2021, The Daily Star. All rights reserved.

You may also like

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content