Lockerbie Trial won't Target Tripoli, UN Promises Kadhafi

Published May 7th, 2000 - 02:00 GMT

The United Nations has promised Libyan President Moamer Kadhafi that his regime will not be harmed by the Lockerbie trial, families of US crash victims have been told according to the Sunday Telegraph. 

The newspaper said that UN Secretary General Kofi Annan had written to Kadhafi promising that "the conduct of the trial shall not undermine the Libyan government."  

It said relatives of the 1988 plane crash over Lockerbie were read extracts of the letter by US officials last year, which has since become a classified document. 

Libyans Abdel-Basset Ali al-Megrahi, 48, and Al-Amin Khalifa Fahima, 44 went on trial last Wednesday accused of planting the bomb that exploded on a Pan Am flight in December 1988, killing all 259 passengers and crew on board and 11 people on the ground in the Scottish town of Lockerbie. 

Relatives say that the two, if found guilty, cannot have acted without the complicity of more senior Libyan officials, and complain that the UN guarantee could possibly protect those that masterminded the crime. 

"Prosecutors have told family members it is highly unlikely that any evidence which could be used to pursue those higher up the chain of command will come out at the trial," the Telegraph quoted a victim's relative, Stephanie Bernstein, as saying -- LONDON (AFP). 

 

© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like