Mosque Shooting Leaves Four Dead as Yemen Municipal Election Violence Spreads

Published February 14th, 2001 - 02:00 GMT

A gunman shot dead four people and wounded seven others in a mosque in south Yemen, security and tribal sources said Wednesday in the latest bloodshed tied to municipal elections on February 20. 

The attack followed a dispute between two tribes over candidates for the first municipal elections since the country was reunited in 1990, tribal sources said. 

The man, said to be a member of the opposition al-Islah Islamic party, burst into the mosque in the village of Shueib, in Lahj province, 250 kilometers north of Aden on Tuesday night. 

He opened fire with a pistol killing four people and wounding seven more, some seriously, and then ran off, the security sources said. 

Yemen has seen a string of incidents involving heavily armed tribesman in the run-up to the elections which will be held on the same day as a referendum on constitutional amendments. 

Three people were killed, including a child, as armed clashes broke out last week in Omran province, north of the capital, between rival tribes embroiled in a political dispute. 

On January 10, armed men shot dead nine Muslims as they knelt in prayer at a mosque north of the capital after a stormy debate over candidates for the elections. 

A total of 60,000 police and soldiers as well as 30,000 reservists have been mobilized to ensure order in Yemen's heavily armed tribal population, with election-related violence having already claimed at least 18 lives -- ADEN, Yemen (AFP) 

 

 

© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like