Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas was skipping a visit to Kuwait that was to be the highest-level visit by a Palestinian official since ties soured during the 1991 Gulf War, a Palestinian Cabinet minister said Saturday.
Abbas had been invited to address the Kuwaiti parliament. According to the AP, Palestinian cabinet minister Yasser Abed Rabbo told reporters Saturday in the West Bank city of Ramallah that the cancellation was because of a complication with schedules.
"Kuwait is a brother country to us. I'm sure that this (cancellation) is nothing serious," Abed Rabbo said.
However, a senior Palestinian official said the trip was called off because Abbas rejected a Kuwaiti demand to apologize for and condemn the Palestinians' backing for Iraq during its 1990 invasion of Kuwait, which sparked the Gulf War. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)