Body of a second Palestinian teenager found dead after clashes with the IDF

Published April 4th, 2013 - 06:57 GMT
A Palestinian boy plays in an old tree east of Gaza City, near the Israeli border with the Gaza Strip, on April 3, 2013. (AFP PHOTO/MOHAMMED ABED)
A Palestinian boy plays in an old tree east of Gaza City, near the Israeli border with the Gaza Strip, on April 3, 2013. (AFP PHOTO/MOHAMMED ABED)

The body of a second Palestinian teenager shot in a West Bank clash with Israeli troops was discovered at first light on Thursday, said Palestinian medical and security officials.

They named the dead youth as Naji Balbisi, 17, a cousin of 16-year-old Amer Nassar who was also shot dead in the clash at a military roadblock at Tulkarem in the north of the Palestinian territory, the officials said.

The Israeli military confirmed the discovery of a body early Thursday at the site of the previous night's clash, during which, according to a spokesman, Palestinians hurled petrol bombs at the army position and troops fired in response.

"Following further searches and investigations conducted in the area the body of one of the perpetrators was found," the spokesman told AFP. 

Nassar's body was taken away by Palestinians during the clash. 

The killings come ahead of the funeral later Thursday in the southern West Bank city of Hebron of a Palestinian who died in an Israeli prison on Tuesday.

News of Maisara Abu Hamdiyeh's death provoked widespread Palestinian anger and sparked clashes Wednesday in the West Bank -- particularly in Hebron -- between Israeli soldiers and Palestinians.

Abu Hamdiyeh was diagnosed with throat cancer and died after serving 10 years of a life sentence for attempted murder.

The Palestinian leadership has accused Israel of medical negligence despite moves by the prison service to secure his early release on compassionate grounds.

Palestinian militants launched several rockets into southern Israel and Israeli aircraft struck targets in the Gaza Strip Wednesday in the heaviest exchange of fire between the sides since a cease-fire ended a major flare-up last year.

“We will not allow shooting of any sort [even sporadic] toward our citizens and our forces,” Moshe Yaalon, a former military chief of staff, said in a statement.

By nightfall Wednesday, calm appeared to have returned. A small al-Qaeda-influenced group was suspected. The rocket fire coincided with unrest in the West Bank over the death of a Palestinian prisoner.

Yaalon said he holds the Islamic militant Hamas, which has ruled Gaza since 2007, responsible for all such attacks from the seaside strip.


© 2019 MBC Group. All Rights Reserved.

You may also like