Croatian General Rahim Ademi is ready to defend himself before the UN tribunal in The Hague if he is among those indicted by the court for war crimes, Prime Minister Ivica Racan said Monday.
"The government is ready to help him with his defense," said Racan at a news conference.
Ademi is believed to be among two war crimes suspects in Croatia wanted by the international tribunal for atrocities committed during the 1991-1995 war between Croatia and ethnic Serbs.
The remarks followed a decision by the Croatian government to hand over suspects indicted by the court for trial, following the transfer of former Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic by Belgrade last month.
Croatian newspapers have said that Ademi, who is still serving, and retired General Ante Gotovina, who commanded Croatian forces during the war, were wanted by the tribunal.
Ademi is ready "to go voluntarily" to The Hague and "to defend himself" if he has been indicted, said Racan.
President Stipe Mesic, who backed the decision to handover the war crimes suspects, met with Ademi on Sunday, according to the Hina news agency but no details of the talks were released – ZAGREB (AFP)