Profiles of perpetrators and suspects of Paris attacks

Published March 21st, 2016 - 12:30 GMT
Police patrol in Paris on November 14, 2015 at the Eiffel Tower. (AFP/File)
Police patrol in Paris on November 14, 2015 at the Eiffel Tower. (AFP/File)

More than four months have passed since assailants killed 130 people in Paris during attacks on the Stade de France football stadium, the Bataclan concert hall, restaurants and bars.

Here is what is known about different suspects so far, based on police information and media reports.

- The seven attackers who died in Paris on November 13:

OMAR ISMAIL MOSTEFAI: A 29-year-old Frenchman born in the southern Paris suburb of Courcouronnes, who was among the attackers at the Bataclan concert hall. He was known to police as a small-time criminal, but had never been jailed. He had also been under watch since 2010 for radicalization and reportedly spent time in Syria.

SAMY AMIMOUR: A 28-year-old Frenchman born in Paris, the second of the Bataclan attackers. The former public bus driver was known to law enforcement for links to extremists and had attempted to go to Yemen. He was the subject of an international arrest warrant issued in 2013, at which time his family says he had gone to Syria.

FOUED MOHAMMED AGGAD: A 23-year-old Frenchman from Strasbourg, who was identified as the third Bataclan attacker. His mother reportedly got a text message from Syria informing her of her son's death "as a martyr." He is believed to have gone to Syria at the end of 2013.

BRAHIM ABDESLAM: A 31-year-old Frenchman, who had lived in Belgium and blew himself up in the restaurant Comptoir Voltaire. He ran a now-shuttered bar in the Brussels neighbourhood of Molenbeek together with his brother and fellow Paris attack suspect Salah Abdeslam.

BILAL HADFI: A 20-year-old Frenchman, who had lived in Belgium and blew himself up near the Stade de France football stadium. There are media reports that he too spent time in Syria, having joined the Daesh extremist group.

THE MAN WITH THE SYRIAN PASSPORT: A Syrian passport issued to 25-year-old Ahmad al-Mohammad was found near the body of a second Stade de France attacker, but it is thought to be a fake. Whoever used the passport is suspected of having infiltrated the migrant flows coursing through Europe.

STADE DE FRANCE ATTACKER No. 3: Still to be identified. He may also have infiltrated migrant flows.

- The November 13 suspected attacker who is still alive:

SALAH ABDESLAM: The brother of Brahim Abdeslam. The 26-year-old Frenchman had lived in Molenbeek and was arrested in the Brussels neighbourhood on March 18. According to French state prosecutor Francois Molins, Abdeslam had intended to blow himself up at the State de France stadium on November 13, but then backed out.

- The suspects killed on November 18 during a police raid in the Paris suburb of Saint-Denis:

ABDELHAMID ABAAOUD: A 28-year-old Belgian national of Moroccan origin, suspected of masterminding and participating in the November 13 attacks. Abaaoud had been in Syria since 2014 and was a poster child for the Islamic State extremist group. He grew up in Molenbeek.

CHAKIB AKROUH: A 25-year-old man of Belgian-Moroccan nationality, who detonated a suicide bomb during the police raid. He is also suspected of taking part in the November 13 attacks. The former Molenbeek resident left Belgium in 2013 and later joined the Islamic State in Syria. He was sentenced in absentia to jail in Belgium.

HASNA AITBOULAHCEN: The 26-year-old French woman of Moroccan origin is said to have been Abaaoud's cousin.

- The suspect killed on March 15 during a police raid in the Brussels neighbourhood of Forest:

MOHAMED BELKAID: A 35-year-old Algerian national who was illegally living in Belgium and was barely known to police. But investigators believe he used the false identity of Samir Bouzid while travelling with Salah Abdeslam to Hungary last September. Other activities linked to the Paris attacks were also carried out in Bouzid's name.

- The suspects still at large:

MOHAMED ABRINI: Belgium has issued an international arrest warrant for this 31-year-old, who was filmed on November 11 driving a Renault Clio car that was later used in the Paris attacks. The video showed Abrini together with Salah Abdeslam at a petrol station in northern France. Abrini is said to be of Belgian-Moroccan nationality.

NAJIM LAACHRAOUI: Belgium has asked for the public's help in tracking down this 24-year-old man, who was known to have left for Syria in 2013. Investigators believe he used the false identity of Soufiane Kayal while travelling with Salah Abdeslam and Belkaid to Hungary last September. Other activities linked to the Paris attacks were also carried out in Kayal's name.

- Arrests of accomplices:

More than a dozen people have been arrested on terrorism charges in France, Belgium, Turkey and Morocco in connection with the Paris attacks. Most are suspected of providing logistical support to the Paris attackers or reportedly had links to them.

Belgian Foreign Minister Didier Reynders said in March that "more than 30 people" had been found to be involved in the Paris attacks.


© 2022 dpa GmbH

You may also like