Report: Former Iraqi information minister arrested

Published June 25th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

American soldiers had detained former Iraqi information minister, Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, at a roadblocks in Baghdad area, The Daily Mirror reported. 

 

Sahaf had been hiding out at a relative's house watching satellite TV, but was caught on Monday night, the newspaper said."He has some serious talking to do...this time," a "senior coalition source" was quoted as saying.  

 

Meanwhile, US Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Tuesday there is no evidence that senior Iraqi leaders were among those killed in a U.S. attack on a convoy last week near the Syrian border.  

 

Initial news reports about the attack said Saddam Hussein or his sons, Uday and Qusai, were thought by U.S. intelligence to have been in the convoy, which was destroyed by U.S. air and ground forces.  

 

Asked whether any senior Iraqis were killed, Rumsfeld replied, "I have no reason to believe that." (Albawaba.com)

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content