An airstrike launched by the Saudi-led alliance in Yemen appears to have struck an orphanage Saturday morning in Sana'a's al-Nahda neighbourhood, killing and injuring an unknown number of people, local medical sources told dpa.
There have been contradicting reports about the casualties, and whether they include children or not. No further details were immediately available.
Separately, a residential building was bombarded by an airstrike earlier in the day in the Hadda area, also in Sana'a, killing three and injuring five civilians, local sources said.
Meanwhile, sources at the Health Ministry said a state of emergency was announced due to the rising number of casualties from mistaken strikes upon civilian sites since Friday.
"Due to the ongoing airstrikes, there is no way to make an exact estimation of the number of the dead and injured at this stage, but they are dozens," a source at the ministry told dpa.
Airstrikes against Houthi-held military sites in Sana'a and other parts of Yemen have intensified since Friday, but that has increased the possibility of them mistakenly targeting civilian areas.
Saudi Arabia and fellow Sunni partners have mounted since March an air campaign in Yemen against Shiite Houthi rebels, who still control large parts of the country.
© 2021 dpa GmbH