Saudi forces repel Shiite rebels on Yemen border

Published November 8th, 2009 - 09:54 GMT

Saudi Arabia has regained control of an area seized by Yemeni rebels in a cross-border incursion last week, a top official was quoted as saying late on Saturday. "The situation is calm ... especially in Jabal Dukhan, of which full control has been regained," Khalid bin Sultan bin Abdul-Aziz, adviser to the defence minister, said according to the Saudi Press Agency (SPA).

 

"The foothills of the mountain within Saudi borders have been cleansed," he conveyed, adding that infiltration from Shiite rebels continued in some areas. On Saturday, medics said seven Saudis had been killed. The dead included four women. Saudi media said they were killed in rebel shelling. It said 126 people were hurt.

 

 

You may also like