Saudi-led Coalition Strikes over Yemen Lead to Deaths and Injuries

Published April 3rd, 2018 - 05:00 GMT
Children Stand on a bombed building in Yemen (AFP/File Photo)
Children Stand on a bombed building in Yemen (AFP/File Photo)

More than a dozen civilians have been killed and several others injured when Saudi military aircraft carried out airstrikes against residential areas across Yemen.

A local medical source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Arabic-language al-Masirah Television Network Saudi warplanes targeted a refugee camp in the al-Hali district of Yemen’s western coastal province of Hudaydah, Monday afternoon.

The source added the aerial assault left 14 people dead and nine others injured. The victims were all from the same family. There were seven children among the deceased.

Earlier in the day, Saudi fighter jets launched three airstrikes against an area in the city of Sirwah, which lies about 120 kilometers (75 miles) east of Sana'a.

There were, however, no immediate reports of casualties and the extent of damage caused.

The United Nations says a record 22.2 million Yemenis are in need of food aid, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger.

A high-ranking U.N. aid official recently warned against the “catastrophic” living conditions in Yemen, stating there was a growing risk of famine and cholera there.

 

“After three years of conflict, conditions in Yemen are catastrophic,” John Ging, UN director of aid operations, told the UN Security Council on February 27.

He added, “People's lives have continued unraveling. Conflict has escalated since November driving an estimated 100,000 people from their homes.”

Ging said cholera had infected 1.1 million people in Yemen since last April, and a new outbreak of diphtheria had occurred in the war-ravaged Arab country since 1982.

 

This article has been adapted from its original source.

 


Copyright © 2019 Press TV. All rights reserved.

You may also like