Saudi Officials still Looking for Suspects in Anti-British Blasts

Published November 28th, 2000 - 02:00 GMT

Saudi authorities are still looking for suspects in the two bombings that killed one Briton and wounded three others earlier this month, a senior official said Tuesday. 

"The investigation continues," Deputy Interior Minister Prince Ahmad bin Abdul Aziz said, quoted in Al-Riyadh newspaper. "There has not been any arrest made to date" for the car bombings in the Saudi capital. 

He said one of the Britons hurt in the latest attack on November 22 had undergone "an operation to repair his muscles" and was still in hospital, while the others were released after suffering only minor wounds. 

"There is cooperation with British authorities on any information that could assist the investigation," he said. 

"But there is no direct cooperation between the Saudi interior ministry and its British counterpart, given the differences between the institutions of the two countries," said Prince Ahmad. 

"It is the right of British authorities to inquire over issues related to their citizens, like it is our right to be kept abreast of any information that could help the investigation," he said. 

The Foreign Office in London confirmed Friday that the two attacks on Britons were car bombs and urged its 30,000 nationals in the Saudi kingdom to "exercise increased caution." 

"A British technical expert carried out a forensic investigation with the Saudi authorities and the conclusion of that investigation was yes, we are talking about bombs," a Foreign Office spokesman said. 

Christopher Rodway, a 47-year-old British national working at a military hospital in the Saudi capital, was killed and his wife Jane injured in the first attack on November 17. 

The Foreign Office has said the motives of the attacks were still unclear, although it was "possible" they were linked. No group has claimed responsibility. 

Saudi officials said the attacks appeared to be personal and not politically motivated, although both came amid anti-western sentiment and Arab anger stirred up by the Israeli-Palestinian conflict – RIYADH (AFP) 

 

 

© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like