- Saudi Arabia has threatened economic retaliation against countries supporting a U.N. probe into Yemen war violations.
- Saudi Arabia's military support to the Yemeni government against rebels has brought about many civilian deaths.
- Riyadh is not open to criticism concerning its involvement in the war.
- Saudi Arabia is calling for support to a Yemeni domestic probe, deemed invalid by the U.N.
Saudi Arabia has threatened economic retaliation against countries that back a U.N. resolution setting up an international probe into war violations in Yemen, AFP reported on Tuesday.
A letter viewed by the news agency on Tuesday comes as U.N. members consider a Dutch/Canadian draft, which calls for an investigation - known as a Commission of Inquiry - into war deaths in the Yemen.
Saudi Arabia is leading an Arab military coalition backing the Yemeni government against rebels, but airstrikes have led to many civilian deaths.
Riyadh is highly sensitive to criticism about the way it handles the war.
"Adopting The Netherlands/Canadian draft resolution in the Human Rights Council may negatively affect the bilateral political economic relations with Saudi Arabia", a letter circulated by the kingdom and seen by AFP said.
Saudi Arabia "will not accept" the Dutch/Canadian draft, it added and called for more support to the Yemeni domestic probe, which the U.N. says lacks credibility.
The Geneva director for Human Rights Watch, who has also seen the document sent to multiple countries, described the threat as "disgraceful".
- Yemeni President Says Houthi Conflict is 'Not Political'
- US-made Bomb Used to Kill Civilians in Yemen, Says Amnesty
"It is outrageous that Saudi Arabia is seeking to use threats of economic and political sanctions to bully states into not supporting the kind of international investigation that could put an end to the abuses," Fisher told AFP.
"The (Arab) coalition forces have bombed hospitals, they have bombed marketplaces, homes, funeral parlors and it is time for the international community to say enough is enough."
United Nations rights chief Zeid Raad al-Hussein has repeatedly lobbied the Human Rights Council to create an independent investigation of alleged atrocities in Yemen.
A Saudi-led coalition entered the Yemen war against Houthi rebels in March 2015.
Civilian targets like markets and hospitals have also been hit during the war, but Saudi Arabia has so far succeeded in blocking an international probe.
The Human Rights Council, which concludes its ongoing session on Friday, is again split over a path forward.
At least 10,000 people have been killed in Yemen's war, the vast majority are believed to be civilians.
This article has been adapted from its original source.
Copyright @ 2019 The New Arab.