Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said he has given orders to plan for the "removal of 17 settlements in Gaza".
"I have given an order to plan for the evacuation of 17 settlements in the Gaza Strip," the Prime Minister said Monday in an exclusive interview with Tel-Aviv based HaAretz newspaper.
"It is my intention to carry out an evacuation - sorry, a relocation - of settlements that cause us problems and of places that we will not hold onto anyway in a final settlement, like the Gaza settlements," Sharon added.
Sharon, who is likely to go public with his plan later Monday, also noted the "problematic nature of evacuating settlements in Gaza".
"We are talking of a population of 7,500 people. It's not a simple matter. We are talking of thousands of square kilometers of hothouses, factories and packing plants. People there who are third-generation.
"The first thing is to ask their agreement, to reach an agreement with the residents. To move thousands of dunams of hothouses, educational institutions, thousands and thousands of vehicles, it's not a quick matter, especially if it's done under fire."
"I am working on the assumption that in the future there will be no Jews in Gaza," Sharon added.
Asked whether he intended presenting his plan to US President George W. Bush during his upcoming visit to Washington, Sharon said, "Absolutely. It has to be done with American agreement and support. We need their support."
The Israeli prime minister added he had not yet discussed the issue of financing the evacuation with the Americans. "But we will have to discuss [it] with them."
Palestinians would support a complete evacuation of Jewish settlements in the Gaza Strip but fear reported orders to do so are just a public relations exercise, Palestinian minister, negotiator Saeb Erakat told AFP. "No Palestinian would stand against the evacuation of any Israeli settlement," Erakat conveyed.
"I am afraid however that again we are hearing and seeing declarations aimed at public consumption and public relations."
Meanwhile, Israel's foreign minister Silvan Shalom said he hadn't heard about the prime minister's plan, but opposes unilateral steps.
"My position has been made known publicly in the past, and it hasn't changed," Shalom said. "That unilateral steps will not lead to a lessening of the confrontation and friction, and might make it worse."
Earlier, on the second day of Eid Al Adha, four Palestinians, including a local military leader of the Islamic Jihad, were killed by Israeli fire in the Gaza Strip city of Rafah before dawn Monday. An Israeli soldier was lightly wounded during the raid, Israeli sources said.
The occupation forces entered Tel al-Sultan neighborhood in the west of Rafah to capture the Islamic Jihad leader, Yasser Abu Al Eish, 35, who the army said was responsible for shooting attacks, firing mortar shells and home-made rockets, and planting explosives in the area. When the troops arrived at his house, a gunfight ensued. However, Palestinian sources reported Abu Al Eish had previously lost his two legs and right arm.
One of the Palestinians killed was Abu Al Eish's brother, Hussein, 38.
Elsewhere, Palestinians and Israeli troops exchanged gunfire inside a building in the Aide village, near Bethlehem. According to press reports, a Hamas fighter opened fire and injured four Israeli soldiers. He was then shot dead. Another Palestinian activist reportedly was killed as well. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)