Six people died when a six-floor apartment block collapsed Sunday in Egypt's second city, Alexandria, the day it was ordered torn down, police said Monday.
Three people were also injured, including a 65-year-old bystander who was hit by falling debris and a young man who was hurt as he tried to rescue buried residents, said Alexandria police chief Faruq Abbas.
The building was deemed unsafe last year as the top two floors had been added on without permission, but the order to proceed with demolition was only issued Sunday, he added.
All the residents were accounted for after the six bodies were removed from the rubble, the police said - CAIRO (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)