Son says Former Iraqi Defense Minister could play role in establishing post-war army

Published September 25th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Former Iraqi Minister of Defence, Sultan Hashem Ahmad, who surrendered to US forces earlier this month, could play a role in forming a post-war army, a Jordanian daily reported Thursday, quoting his youngest son. 

 

"My father has received guarantees that his name will be erased from the list of 55 wanted and he could be released after his interrogation," Al Arab Al Yawm quoted him as saying. 

 

The son further told the paper that Ahmad, who gave himself in last week, has contacted his family twice since being taken into detention. 

 

Asked if Ahmad could play a role in a new Iraqi army, he said, "I don't rule this out because my father enjoys a good reputation and has good relations with all the political groups". 

 

He added that Ahmad was a "professional" military man "whose name has not been linked to any of the actions considered criminal by Washington." "The attention shown to my father by the American forces and the respect and appreciation that he received upon his surrender leads me to believe that," he told the newspaper. (Albawaba.com)

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content