Two civilians were killed and as many others wounded on Wednesday morning when a suicide bomber exploded his vest near the Pakistani consulate in eastern Nangarhar province, officials said.
The suicide attack took place at around 9am near the Pakistani consulate in the Jalalabad, the provincial capital, killing two civilians and injuring two others, the governor’s spokesman, Attaullah Khogyani, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
An official, who wanted to go unnamed, confided to this news agency that four policemen were killed. A traffic police officer and two civilians were injured in the bombing, he said.
“The bomber came on foot near a police vehicle and grabbed a gun from a policeman before detonating his suicide vest,” said a witness, named Fazli Ilahi. He saw two dead bodies and some injured people at the scene.
One of the two suicide bombers hid near the consulate and exchanged gunfire with the security personnel for an hour, he said. No one has so far asserted responsibility for the suicide attack.
Indian and Iranian diplomatic missions, a hospital as well as a private school are located in the neighborhood. Nangarhar is home to militants of all stripes, including Daesh and Taliban.
By Zeerak Fahim
Copyright © Pajhwok Afghan News. All rights reserved.