Sulayem welcomes Schumacher’s return to F1

Published December 27th, 2009 - 08:03 GMT

FIA Vice President Mohammed Ben Sulayem has welcomed seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher’s decision to come out of retirement and race in the 2010 season.
Sulayem, himself a 14-time Middle East Rally Champion, said Schumacher’s decision to once again get behind the wheel of a Formula One car is “good for the sport, media and fans.”
Schumacher was due to make a remarkable return last season for Ferrari for whom he is a consultant as a replacement for the injured Felipe Massa but was unable to because of a neck injury he suffered in a motorbike accident earlier this year.
Sulayem recalled that in 2005 Schumacher had said to him: “I hope I will race in your country some day.” The former world champion will now race at the season-ending Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on November 14 next year.
The 40-year-old German, who won his titles with Benetton and Ferrari and retired at the end of 2006, signed the deal at the Mercedes team's offices in Brackley, England, after a month of talks.

Mercedes, who have taken over champions Brawn, have signed Nico Rosberg as their other driver for 2010.

The move to Mercedes reunites him with Britain's Ross Brawn, the technical director who guided Schumacher to his record seven titles and 91 race wins and who is now the team principal.


© 2000 - 2019 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like