Syria bans independent weekly

Published July 30th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Authorities in Syria have banned the latest edition of Syria's independent weekly Al-Dumri containing articles critical of the state, the newspaper said Tuesday. 

 

Monday's edition "has not been distributed by the (official) Syrian distribution company following verbal instructions of unknown origin," it said in a statement received by AFP

 

The newspaper said the edition contained a report on an ongoing trial over neglect charges after a dam collapsed last year killing over 20 people and other articles "dealing with Syrian affairs in an objective and bold manner". 

 

It called on Syrian authorities to "halt such attacks on freedom of expression", while Syria's human rights association issued a statement calling for the information ministry "to go back on its unjustified decision". (Albawaba.com) 

 

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content