Syria said it wanted a "serious and constructive dialogue" with Washington and welcomed remarks by President Bush in which he noted Damascus was heeding U.S. calls for cooperation.
"We welcome the statement of President Bush and hope that this statement marks the beginning of a serious and constructive dialogue," Foreign Minister Farouq al-Shara said on Monday. "We in Syria do not like argument ... we are for dialogue."
Shara said Syria has sealed its borders to Iraqis and required them to apply for visas. Before the war, Iraqis, like all fellow Arabs, were allowed to frequent Syria without visas.
Shara told a joint news conference with visiting Spanish Foreign Minister Ana Palacio in Damascus that his country "never wanted a confrontation" with Washington. "The strong tone from our side was a reaction," he said.
"Syria is a stabilizing factor in the Middle East," he added.
Palacio, who met with President Bashar al-Assad earlier on Monday, said the situation between its "friend" Syria and ally the United States did not require mediation.
She described the U.S. allegations against Syria as "isolated statements" and said: "I insist that there was no such thing as a (U.S.) threat to Syria."
Commenting on the purpose of a planned visit by Secretary of State Colin Powell to Damascus, Shara said: "I am sure he is not coming to Syria to dictate but to listen, to tell us their concern and to tell our concern to them."
Palacio said she saw Syria's stance on Middle East peacemaking changing and hoped the country would support the "road map" plan for Israeli-Palestinian peace. Spain wants the road map to be announced as soon as possible, she said.
"The time for declarations is long over due. We now have to deliver and make progress in the peace process. I believe we have a window of opportunity that we have to seize to push forward the peace process," Palacio said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)