Syrian Officials Deny Death of Former Premiere’s Widow

Published June 4th, 2000 - 02:00 GMT

Damascus – Albawaba.com 

 

Syrian official sources denied Saturday a widely-spread rumor in the Syrian capital that the widow of former premiere Mahmoud Zu’bi has died, days after her husband committed suicide on May 21st. 

Zu’bi shot himself after he was sent to trial within the framework of an anticorruption campaign. 

It was said that Mrs. Zu’bi was buried in her native town Khirbit Ghazala 80 km south Damascus, but the funeral was hushed-up.  

In the context of the campaign that has seen so far a number of former Syrian officials referred to court on corruption charges, including two deputies of Zu’bi, sources told Albawaba.com that a new list of suspects will be announced soon that will include big names accused of misuse of office and embezzlement of public money.  

© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like