Taliban claim responsibility for rocket attack on Afghan Parliament

Published March 28th, 2016 - 03:09 GMT
Smoke and flames rise from burning vehicles at the site of an attack in front of the Afghan parliament building in Kabul on June 22, 2015. (AFP/Shah Marai)
Smoke and flames rise from burning vehicles at the site of an attack in front of the Afghan parliament building in Kabul on June 22, 2015. (AFP/Shah Marai)

Afghanistan's parliament in capital Kabul on Monday was struck by a rocket in an attack for which the Taliban have since claimed responsibility.

The incident occurred as security officials, including the interior minister, were attending a parliamentary briefing to answer MPs' questions regarding the country's current security situation.

According to Col. Abdul Ghafar Ghorzan, the police have launched an investigation into the incident, details of which, he said, would be shared with the media.

A first rocket struck the parliament building, causing some damage, after which two more rockets landed near the Wolesi Jirga facility in the nearby Dar-ul-Aman Palace, officials said.

Interior Ministry Spokesman Sidique Sidiqui, for his part, confirmed the incident, saying that no causalities had been reported.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said Taliban fighters had carried out the rocket attack.

Mujahid also challenged the government's version of events, saying that "scores" of security officials had been killed in an attack on a military base near Dar-ul-Aman.

By Zabihullah Tamanna


© Copyright Andolu Ajansi

You may also like