Turkey detains 36 over old sex tape scandal

Published August 3rd, 2016 - 04:00 GMT
Turkey summoned a senior German diplomat, a day after a rally of tens of thousands of Erdogan supporters in Cologne in opposition to the coup (AFP/Henning Kaiser)
Turkey summoned a senior German diplomat, a day after a rally of tens of thousands of Erdogan supporters in Cologne in opposition to the coup (AFP/Henning Kaiser)

A sex tape saga that affected Turkey's opposition parties several years back has returned to the headlines, as detention orders were issued Tuesday for 120 people in connection with the video.

The sex tape engulfed the centre-left People's Republican Party (CHP) and the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) on the right and has been linked to the same movement of an Islamic cleric that the government blames for the failed coup attempt on July 15.

So far, authorities detained 34 members of the police force and two others in what is known as the "cassette" case, CNN Turk reported.

Deniz Baykal, who was the leader of the CHP, was forced to resign as party chair in 2010 over a video leaked online which showed him having sex with a female party member. MHP politicians had similar problems in 2011.

The government and both of these opposition parties blame Fethullah Gulen, a Turkish cleric living in the United States, for the July 15 failed putsch.

They also blame his followers for a series of wiretappings and leaks which have wreaked havoc on the Turkish political scene for years, including the sex tapes targeting the opposition and, three years later, leaks purporting to show corruption in government circles.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Gulen were longtime allies and government critics blame the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) for letting Gulen's followers infiltrate the state structures over the years.

At the time, some members of the opposition accused the AKP of being behind or at least complacent in the sex tapes leak.

Gulen - who Erdogan formally disavowed after the corruption leaks – denies the charges of being behind the coup plot.

Turkey's Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag meanwhile said the government would file a second round of documents to the US, as Ankara hopes to get Gulen extradited.

The US has offered assistance and says it would weigh the merit of an actual extradition request, but officials insist there must be proof of his ties to the plot.

Turkey has also been trying to turn up the heat abroad, pressing foreign countries - from Afghanistan to African nations and Germany - to extradite alleged Gulenists and shut down the Islamic movement’s schools.

“We are expecting support from rest of the world,” speaker of parliament Ismail Kahraman told reporters in Ankara.

Turkey has only had moderate success abroad in recent years in its war against the global Gulen movement.

Turkey’s state run Anadolu news agency reported last week that three schools and a hospital affiliated with the group in Somalia would now be run operated by the embassy.

Since the failed putsch, Turkey has arrested more than 10,000 people and suspended or fired from the public sector nearly 70,000 civil servants, police and members of the military. The government alleges all are Gulenists.

In the latest move, a government official said detention orders were issued for 98 people, including medics, at the main military hospital in Ankara. Anadolu said about 50 people were detained.

The government, using a state of emergency, has issued decrees to reform the military and impose more civilian oversight. Erdogan is also seeking constitutional changes so the General Staff of the army answers to his office.

 

© 2019 dpa GmbH

You may also like