Two Bahrainis jailed for planning attack against US Navy ships

Published January 27th, 2010 - 08:32 GMT

Two Bahraini men accused of planning attacks against US Navy ships in Bahrain were each jailed for five years, the Gulf Daily News reported on Wednesday. The two were convicted of plotting an attack and weapon smuggling by the High Criminal Court.

 

They earlier claimed they had acted in readiness to protect their country from a possible attack by Iran.

 

The men, a 21-year-old customs officer and a 22-year-old who is unemployed, were detained in April 2009. Their arrest came following information obtained by the US Navy's Naval Support Activity (NSA), said the prosecution.

 

They were allegedly awaiting orders from overseas terror chiefs to launch their attack, which was to include an assault on US military ships and personnel at Mina Salman, when they were detained. Prosecutors alleged both men received combat training in Jordan and had test-fired two rounds in a secluded area near Riffa Views, before being detained.

 

Attorney Abdulla Hashim, who represented the 22-year-old, previously argued that his client bought the arms with the intention of protecting Bahrain. Meanwhile, lawyer Fareed Gazi, who represented the customs officer, said during a previous hearing that the men had no links to any terror groups.

 


© 2000 - 2022 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content