Two German women were killed Friday in a knife attack on foreign tourists in the Egyptian Red Sea town of Hurghada, a state agency confirmed.
The attack at a resort in Hurghada also injured four other foreigners, the State Information Service added without revealing their nationalities.
Private newspaper al-Shorouk, citing a health official, said the four injured were two Armenians, a Czech and a Ukrainian. The four were in stable condition, Naglaa Shata, the health undersecretary in Red Sea province, told the newspaper.
A security source earlier told dpa those killed in the attack were two female Ukrainians.
The German Foreign Ministry said earlier it could not rule out the possibility that Germans were among the victims.
"We don't have any certainty about that yet," the ministry said in a statement.
"We condemn this cowardly and malicious act that seemed to have targeted specifically tourists, who wanted to spend a recreational time at the beach."
In an initial report, the Egyptian Interior Ministry said six tourists of different nationalities were injured in the attack.
The ministry said all the victims were women.
The attacker was immediately arrested and was being questioned about his motive, the ministry added without details
The man, believed to be in his mid-20s, had sneaked into the hotel by swimming from a nearby beach.
An image posted online purportedly showed the attacker being held by hotel employees inside an iron cart.
Egypt's tourism industry, a main source of national income, has been in the doldrums since the 2011 uprising against long-time dictator Hosny Mubarak.
The industry suffered a serious blow in 2015 when a Russian passenger jet broke up in mid-air shortly after taking off from the resort of Sharm el-Sheikh in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, killing all 224 people on board.
Russia said the crash was caused by a bomb, and banned flights to Russia from Egyptian airports in response.
The Islamic State extremist group, which operates in Sinai, claimed to have downed the plane.
Egypt has seen a spate of deadly attacks since the army’s 2013 overthrow of Islamist president Mohammed Morsi following massive protests against his rule.
The attacks have mainly targeted security forces and Egypt's minority Christians.
Earlier Friday, five policemen were killed in an attack near Cairo.
Three unknown men on a motorcycle opened fire at a security patrol vehicle killing the five, the Interior Ministry said.
The attack took place in the area of al-Badrashein, in Giza province, around 40 kilometres south of Cairo.
The assailants escaped.
So far, there has been no claim of responsibility for the attack.
Similar attacks were claimed by the self-styled militant Hasm group that police say is affiliated with the now-banned Muslim Brotherhood from which Morsi hails.
© 2021 dpa GmbH