Two Islamists blow selves up in Mecca; Gunman killed, eight Saudi policemen injured in Riyadh shootout

Published November 6th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

In the Saudi Kingdom, two "terrorists" blew themselves up as security forces hunted for Islamists in the holy city of Mecca, security sources said Thursday. 

 

"Two terrorists blew themselves up Thursday afternoon as they were being chased by security forces in the al-Sharaeh district of Mecca," a security official said.  

 

"The incident happened as security forces hunted for wanted militants," he added. 

 

On Wednesday, the Saudi security authorities said that they apprehended four Saudi and one Nigerian who were members of the "terrorist" cell that was planning an attack against pilgrims in Mecca.‏ An Interior Ministry official said in a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) that a big cache of arms and explosives was also confiscated.  

 

Earlier in Thursday, eight Saudi policemen were wounded and one gunman was killed in a major shootout between security forces and suspected militants in Al-Suwaidi Quarter of Riyadh, an Interior Ministry official said on Thursday.  

 

An unspecified number of "militants" escaped, the report said. 

 

"The security forces reacted to what had been necessary under such circumstances. This has led to the death of one terrorist and caused minor injuries to eight security men." an official source said. (Albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content