Two settlers killed in West Bank; Palestinian shot dead after carrying out knife attack

Published July 30th, 2002 - 02:00 GMT

Palestinians said Tuesday morning that two Israelis were killed Tuesday when their truck came under fire in the village of Jammain, close to the West Bank settlement of Ariel. The two were residents of the Tapuach settlement, Israeli media reports indicated. They were apparently filling up with gas when they were shot at, Israel Radio reported.  

 

"It appears that two of our residents entered a Palestinian village, perhaps to collect or offload merchandise, and were shot and murdered," Tapuach secretary Daniel Shukrun told Reuters

 

Knife attack 

Earlier, an Israeli couple from a West Bank settlement was wounded early Tuesday when a Palestinian, armed with knife, entered their home, Israel Radio reported. The attacker was killed by Israeli security forces.  

 

It happened at Itamar settlement, where a Palestinian shot dead five settlers last month. In Tuesday attack, the Israeli man sustained moderate injuries and his wife light wounds when they were stabbed by the Palestinian after he entered their bedroom at around 3:15 A.M. (GMT 00:15) while they were sleeping, armed with two knives.  

 

The two awoke and began to struggle with the Palestinian. The husband was stabbed in his hand and chest. An Israeli soldier and an officer from the settlement's security force quickly arrived at the scene and killed the Palestinian.  

 

"The terrorist got into the settlement and the home of one of the residents, made his way up to the bedroom and set upon the couple with two knives," Itamar spokesman Rabbi Avihai Ranski told Israeli public TV.  

 

Alert 

Israeli troops apprehended Monday night one of the Palestinians suspected of attempting to enter and carry out a suicide bombing attack in Israel, Israel Radio reported Tuesday. According to the radio, troops were still on alert in Tuesday morning, but they were less suspicious than they were Monday.  

 

An Arab-Israeli was also arrested overnight. He is suspected of being connected to Monday's would-be attack, the radio said. 

 

UNSC 

Meanwhile, talks at the UN Security Council, held at the request of Arab nations following the Israeli missile attack on the Gaza Strip, continued Monday behind closed doors with no new developments. 

 

"We had further discussions to see whether there was any progress on the draft the Arab group put down on Friday afternoon. That job did make further progress," said Jeremy Greenstock, Britain's UN ambassador and current head of the Security Council. If necessary, the talks would continue Tuesday, he added. 

 

Diplomatic sources suggested Monday that the Arab group's proposed resolution, though judged to be moderate in its tone, was unlikely to win enough support to be formally presented to the Security Council, AFP reported. (Albawaba.com)

© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)


© 2000 - 2021 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like