U.S. not informed Israel regarding secret talks with Libya

Published December 22nd, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

The United States did not share Israel with regards to its secret talks with Libya over the past few months that led to Tripoli's declaration last weekend of its intention to stop the development of weapons of mass destruction, the Tel Aviv-based Haaretz reported in its Monday edition.  

 

According to senior Israeli political sources, some 10 days ago, Israel received intelligence information regarding "certain occurrences in Libya," but that it was not briefed by the Americans on their talks with Libyan ruler Muammar Gadhafi. When Israeli defense officials raised the issue of the Libyan threat with their U.S. counterparts, they were told, "We are handling it, keep a low profile."  

 

The U.S. and Israel have been discussing Libya's nuclear program since May 2002. On a number of occasions, Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon warned that Libya might become a nuclear power even ahead of Iran. In a speech last week, Israel's Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz said that "an eye must be kept on Libya." (Albawaba.com)

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content