US Plans to Send Delegation to Turkey to Stop Syria Offensive

Published October 16th, 2019 - 07:21 GMT
Syrian Arab civilians flash the victory sign as Turkish armoured personnel carriers and US-made M60 taks gather in the village of Qirata on the outskirts of the northern Syrian city of Manbij near the Turkish border, on October 14, 2019. (AFP/ File Photo)
Syrian Arab civilians flash the victory sign as Turkish armoured personnel carriers and US-made M60 taks gather in the village of Qirata on the outskirts of the northern Syrian city of Manbij near the Turkish border, on October 14, 2019. (AFP/ File Photo)
Highlights
Mike Pence will visit Turkey on Wednesday as Ankara continues an incursion into Syria.

US Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will travel on Wednesday to Ankara to press Turkey to halt its offensive against Syrian Kurdish fighters, President Donald Trump said on Tuesday.


"They are leaving tomorrow," Trump told reporters at the White House, a day after Pence announced the trip, without giving a timetable.

"We are asking for a ceasefire... We put the strongest sanctions that you can imagine."

Pence's office released a separate statement adding that he would "voice the United States' commitment to reach an immediate ceasefire and the conditions for a negotiated settlement."

Pence is due to meet Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Thursday, the statement added, to reiterate Trump's commitment to "punishing economic sanctions" on Turkey until a resolution is reached.

The president's abrupt decision this month to withdraw US forces from northeast Syria left the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) at the mercy of Turkish troops and their Syrian proxies.

{"preview_thumbnail":"https://cdn.flowplayer.com/6684a05f-6468-4ecd-87d5-a748773282a3/i/v-i-d…","video_id":"d261584e-e755-44f4-954b-20c2bd420608","player_id":"8ca46225-42a2-4245-9c20-7850ae937431","provider":"flowplayer","video":"US Withdraws All Troops From Northern Syria"}

The Kurds say hundreds of imprisoned relatives of militants from the Islamic State group - also known as ISIS - have escaped since Turkey launched its assault last week, although Trump suggested the SDF may have deliberately released them to gain leverage.

"The ongoing violence in the region, severely undermines the (Defeat ISIS) campaign, endangers civilians and religious minorities, and threatens the security of the entire region," the vice president's office said.

"The administration is resolved to maintain security in the region, the safety of civilians, and the continued detention of ISIS fighters."

This article has been adapted from its original source.


Copyright @ 2021 The New Arab.

You may also like