Arabic-language satellite television stations showed videotape Wednesday of two men - an Egyptian and a Turk - saying they had been kidnapped in Iraq and were being threatened with execution.
Masked men seen on the grainy, black-and-white footage said they would try the men according to Islamic law. The Al-Arabiya announcer said the two men had been accused of treason. Part of the tape also was aired on Al-Jazeera television. The stations were monitored in Cairo.
The Egyptian was quoted as saying that he was transporting goods for the U.S. army. He held what appeared to be his identity papers.
Al-Jazeera's announcer said that the kidnappers demanded the Egyptian and Turkish governments condemn actions such as working for the American army in order to secure their release. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)