Web site claims British hostage executed as five US troops killed

Published September 25th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

A posting on an Islamist web site Saturday claimed that an al-Qaeda-linked group has killed British hostage Kenneth Bigley.  

 

Bigley was kidnapped Sept. 16 with two Americans, who have since been beheaded. They were all taken by the Tawhid and Jihad group of Jordanian activist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.  

 

The posting appeared on a Web site usually used by Zarqawi's followers to make their statements.  

 

In addition, the site claimed that seven British soldiers had been captured, but Capt. Donald Francis, a spokesman for the British military said that all forces "are accounted for."  

 

The statement appeared in red script on the Web site and included only two sentences: "Tawhid and Jihad announces that it has executed the British citizen and gives you the good news of kidnapping seven British soldiers. We will be releasing the tape shortly."  

 

Meanwhile, the U.S. military announced the deaths of four Marines and one soldier. The Marines were killed in three separate incidents Friday while conducting "security operations" in Anbar province, the military said Saturday. The soldier was killed when a homemade bomb went off Saturday. (albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content