Yemen death toll tops 1,000: World Health Organization

Published April 23rd, 2015 - 04:31 GMT

The death toll from clashes in Yemen has risen to 1,080, including 48 children and 28 women, the World Health Organization said Thursday.

The UN health agency said another 4,352 have been injured in the past month. According to AFP, the WHO receives its statistics from health facilities in Yemen, meaning the numbers are most likely much higher since many do not make it to hospitals. The numbers include both civilians and fighters.

A regional breakdown shows Sanaa with the largest number of deaths at 209, which includes 21 children. In the southern port city of Aden, 191 people have reportedly been killed.

The new count comes as Saudi Arabia continues with its airstrikes, despite an announcement two days earlier that the kingdom had ended its air campaign. 

 


© 2000 - 2020 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like