At least 15 dead in airstrike on Yemen missile depot

Published April 20th, 2015 - 02:54 GMT
Saudi Arabia and its partners have carried out some 2,300 airstrikes on Houthi targets across Yemen since launching the air campaign more than three weeks ago. (AFP/File)
Saudi Arabia and its partners have carried out some 2,300 airstrikes on Houthi targets across Yemen since launching the air campaign more than three weeks ago. (AFP/File)

At least 15 civilians were killed and dozens injured by explosions from a Saudi-led coalition airstrike on a missile depot in Sanaa Monday, medics told AFP.  

One of the largest Yemen explosions in weeks, it occured when the Saudi airstrike hit a Scud missile base and blew out windows in surrounding homes, residents told Reuters. 

Residents told the news agency the blast was the largest they'd seen from the coalition since it began more than three weeks ago. Thick smoke rose into the air, and homes around the base were left with shattered windows from the force. 

The base is located on the Faj Attan mountain beside Sanaa's Hadda district, where it shares space with the presidential palace and several embassies. It's been the site of heavy fire by Saudi-led air campaign, whose forces have targeted it and similar military and airport areas across Yemen since March 25. 

Saudi Arabia says it's carried out some 2,300 airstrikes across the country since then, targeting the Shiite rebel group known as the Houthis, who took over the capital last September and are now allied with Iran. 


© 2000 - 2021 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like