Yemen peace talks postponed for at least another week

Published January 12th, 2016 - 12:30 GMT

The United Nations says the peace talks, which were to be held Thursday between Yemen’s political factions, have been postponed by at least a week.

UN spokesman Ahmad Fawzi also said on Tuesday the talks may be held a week or more later.

“The 14th was mentioned as a date but I don’t think it’s on the table any longer,” he told a regular UN briefing in Geneva.

He said the UN special envoy to Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, is looking at a date after January 20.

In Mid-December 2015, a delegation of  representatives of both the Houthi rebels and the embattled president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, began UN-brokered peace talks in Switzerland with the aim of reaching a solution to the country’s conflict. The talks ended with no major breakthrough.

A truce came into force in Yemen as the six-day talks opened, but it was repeatedly violated by the Saudi side and Hadi loyalists.

The UN envoy has suggested Geneva as the location for the new round of talks.

The diplomatic efforts to end the conflict in Yemen come amid Saudi attacks on the impoverished country which have continued since late March 2015.

More than 7,500 people have been killed and over 14,000 others injured so far. The war has also taken a heavy toll on the impoverished country’s facilities and infrastructure.

Editor's note: This article has been edited from the source material


Copyright © 2021 Press TV. All rights reserved.

You may also like