World Cup qualifiers: Montenegro 1-1 England

Published March 26th, 2013 - 10:23 GMT

Tim Poole

England were held to a disappointing 1-1 draw by leaders Montenegro in their World Cup qualifier in Podgorica on Tuesday night.

Wayne Rooney struck early in the first half but the hosts came back at the Three Lions in the second, with Dejan Damjanovic converting a 76th-minute equaliser.

The result sees England stay second in Group H, two points behind Montenegro, with the next qualifying action coming in September.

Roy Hodgson rang the changes from Friday's 8-0 win at San Marino as captain Steven Gerrard, Glen Johnson, Ashley Cole, Michael Carrick, James Milner and Danny Welbeck all returned to the starting line-up.

The hosts, meanwhile, were without the suspended Milorad Pekovic and Savo Pavicevic, with midfield duo Nikola Drincic and Branko Boskovic also out through injury. However, key men Mirko Vucinic and Stevan Jovetic were fit and ready to spearhead their side.

The last time that the Three Lions visited Podgorica, a Fabio Capello-led side had let a two-goal lead slip, with Rooney receiving his marching orders for a stamp in the second half. The Manchester United forward seemed determined to make amends for that and he struck the post with a crafty chip from distance after just two minutes.

But a determined Rooney would not be denied at the second time of asking as, four minutes later, the 27-year-old took full advantage of non-existent marking at the far post to head home from a corner.

It was the perfect start for the visitors – and more was to come. On 24 minutes, England almost doubled their lead as Welbeck surged up the pitch on the counterattack, eventually falling just short of an inswinging cross from Manchester United team-mate Rooney.

Welbeck threatened again on the stroke of half-time as he broke into the Montenegro penalty area only to be brought down by Stefan Savic. Rather than awarding a penalty, however, referee Jonas Olsson showed Welbeck a yellow card for diving.

Hodgson's side were in control as the opening half drew to a close. Barely had the home side created a clear-cut chance – barely were they allowed even to venture out of their own half - but the hosts came out a different prospect after the break and they almost grabbed an instant equaliser after Jovetic's far-post header shook the side-netting on 47 minutes.

Marko Basa then came close with a header of his own before Jovetic and Vucinic fired wide and over, respectively. The pressure was building.

The Juventus forward came even closer 12 minutes later as he curled a controlled shot just wide of Joe Hart's left post.

England's No.1 was then tested by a 20-yard strike from Jovetic, before a Gerrard deflection sent the ball crashing against the post.

But the Three Lions could not hold on for much longer and Damjanovic poked home after a goalmouth scramble on 76 minutes.

England duly responded and pushed for a winner, with Gerrard forcing Mladen Bozovic into action twice late on.

The scores remained level, however, and an uphill task now awaits the Three Lions if they want to avoid a World Cup qualification play-off. How they will rue their tepid second-half performance.

Copyright © 2022 All rights reserved.

You may also like


Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content