The head of the PyeongChang organizing committee, Lee Hee-beom, confirmed he had written to the Iranian sports delegation “to apologize for the misunderstanding.”
Earlier this week, media report said 4,000 of Samsung Galaxy Note 8 were being given to athletes taking part in the Winter Games starting Friday in South Korea, but the athletes from Iran and North Korea would not get the gifts due to sanctions.
The news reports sparked outrage in Iran, prompting the Foreign Ministry to summon the South Korean ambassador and demand an apology.
Shortly afterwards, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) backed down on a decision to deny gift Samsung smartphones to both Iranian and North Korean athletes.
Samsung also said the IOC was responsible for distributing gifts at the Olympics and it had no further comment.
©2020 Fars News Agency. All rights reserved