Leading F1 drivers back FIA's move to implement `virtual safety car` plan post Bianchi's crash

Leading F1 drivers back FIA's move to implement `virtual safety car` plan post Bianchi's crash
4.00 6

Published October 12th, 2014 - 14:47 GMT via SyndiGate.info

Rate Article:

 
PRINT Send Mail
comment (0)
Bianchi crash
Bianchi crash

Leading Formula One drivers have reportedly backed a move to implement changes that include a virtual safety car plan in light of Marussia driver Jules Bianchi's accident that left him in a critical condition.

The Frenchman suffered severe injuries when he hit a recovery vehicle during last Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix.

And in order to prevent further such incidents, Formula One's governing body the FIA is working on a plan for a 'virtual safety car' to ensure drivers slow for warning flags, The BBC reported.

Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton has said that what is good is they're reacting to it and trying to find the best solution.

The 'virtual safety car' idea would mean drivers being limited to certain predetermined lap time in the event of an incident that would previously not have been regarded as needing a safety car.

Hamilton added that the problem with flags is that one wants to be safe but one wants to lose as little time as possible. So he said that one is always on the knife-edge with it.

Hamilton, who will start from pole at Sunday's Russian Grand Prix with Mercedes teammate and title rival Nico Rosberg second, also said that with the limiter through that sector or whatever they're going to do, that really does take the pressure off the chance that one can make mistakes.

Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso said that he supports FIA's decision, adding that in fact he raised the point in the drivers' briefing on Friday because between the Japan and Singapore races he went into an indoor go-kart circuit and when there is a yellow flag they push a button and the engines cut and they all go at the same speed.

Bianchi remains in hospital in Japan and there have been no updates on his condition since it was announced by the FIA that he was critical but stable on Tuesday.

The incident has cast a shadow over this weekend's inaugural Russian race, which is said to be a sell-out.

World champion Sebastian Vettel said that last week shows that they have to do something, adding that they have the technology to do a lot. He said that they need to find out what is the best.

Before the system is introduced fully, Formula One race director Charlie Whiting would exercise extreme caution in the event of any incident, the report added.

Copyright © 2014 aninews.in All rights reserved.

Add a new comment

 avatar