Jordan is banking on Kuwait
Jordan receives $250 million as part of pledges from the GCC
Click here to add Central Bank of Jordan as an alert
Disable alert for Central Bank of Jordan,
Click here to add Gulf Cooperation Council as an alert
Disable alert for Gulf Cooperation Council,
Click here to add Jordan News Agency as an alert
Disable alert for Jordan News Agency,
Click here to add Planning and International Cooperation Ministry as an alert
Disable alert for Planning and International ...,
Click here to add Suleiman Hafez as an alert
Disable alert for Suleiman Hafez
Kuwait has transferred $250 million to the Central Bank of Jordan (CBJ), Finance Minister Suleiman Hafez said Friday.
The minister was quoted by the Jordan News Agency, Petra, as saying that the funds are Kuwait’s contribution to a $5 billion grant for Jordan that was endorsed by the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) last year.
During a GCC summit in December 2011, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Qatar decided to extend $5 billion over a five-year period to support development schemes in Jordan. Each state will pay $1.25 billion.
The $250 million transferred to CBJ represent the first tranche of the GCC countries’ support for this year.
Last month, Jordan and Kuwait signed a framework agreement to regulate the $1.25 billion grant to be extended by the Gulf state over five years.
Later on the month, Planning and International Cooperation Ministry revealed the list of projects that will be funded by the $1.25 billion Kuwaiti grant over five years.
The list divided the schemes into three categories.
The first category includes capital projects listed in the state budget for the years 2012-2015. The value of the schemes are estimated at $686.9 million, while the second category will include priority projects listed under the Executive Development Programme (EDP) for 2012-2014 worth $483 million.
The third group of projects to be funded by the Kuwaiti grant are mega-projects such as the National Railway Network.
- Al Tayer bucks the US department store trend with Bloomingdale's Kuwait opening
- Gulf Islamic banks set to outperform conventional banks for second year: Moody's
- Jordan secures EU finance for socioeconomic and environmental programs
- Same-day service deliveries in GCC an untapped market: Wing CEO
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?
- STS and Jordan Kuwait Bank to deploy first core banking project in Jordan based on Sun Microsystems technology
- Tech-savvy Jordan Kuwait Bank registers remarkable growth in 2006. However, the bank’s share price remains overvalued.
- Burgan Bank receives approval from Kuwait’s Central Bank on its Acquisition plan of Eurobank Tekfen - Turkey
- Jordan Kuwait Bank
- Jordan Kuwait Bank establishes strategic partnership with Microsoft Jordan to support roadmap for future growth