Shamal Az-Zour Al-Oula Logs One Million Manhours Without a Lost Time Accident

Press release
Published May 21st, 2018 - 08:14 GMT
A group of employees at Az-Zour North One Power and Water Plant.
A group of employees at Az-Zour North One Power and Water Plant.

Shamal Az-Zour Al-Oula KSC, the owner and operator of the Az-Zour North One Power and Water Plant, announced today that the company has reached 1,000,000 manhours at the plant without a Lost Time Accident, the equivalent of 10 individuals working safely for 50 years.

The milestone comes only three years after the Operation and Maintenance team took over operation of the first three gas turbines in June 2015 to provide early power during construction of the site. Beginning with 45 employees, the company has grown 146% since the start of operations to 111 employees.

Shamal Az-Zour CEO Paul Frain said, “Safety is, and always has been, of the utmost importance to us here at Shamal Az-Zour, and we are proud to reach this key milestone which we could not have achieved without the incredible hard-work and dedication of our entire team. Working very hard to keep a strong culture of safety on site, our employees work diligently to maintain a safe work environment by following proper safety procedures, using the correct protective equipment, and focusing on every detail with determination. This milestone means that for three years we’ve met our safety goal each day, every day, and we look forward to maintaining this commitment in the years to come.”

With a history of excellence in workplace safety, Shamal Az-Zour follows its parent companies, Engie and Sumitomo, in applying their standards for a safe work environment and bases its safety procedures on their guidance while embracing an ‘Educate, Encourage and, if necessary, Enforce’ policy that focuses on safety procedures and practices whilst keeping in mind the impact it has on operations and the environment. The Health, Safety and Environment team is constantly on the lookout for unsafe behaviour and the management team carry out a ‘safety walk’ every week, and the staff are involved in the decision-making process and contribute significantly to safety procedures.

Shamal Az-Zour Al-Oula is 40% owned by a private consortium comprising ENGIE (formerly GDF SUEZ), Sumitomo Corporation, and A.H. Al Sagar & Brothers. The remaining 60%, is owned by the Government of Kuwait, through the Kuwait Investment Authority (KIA: 5%), the Public Institution for Social Security (PIFSS: 5%) and the Kuwait Authority for Partnership Projects (KAPP: 50%). The Government of Kuwait will sell 50% of the total ownership through an Initial Public Offering (IPO) to Kuwaiti citizens later this year. The government will retain a 10% stake following the IPO.

Background Information

PR Contact

Contact Name
Nai Issa
Contact email

PR Rates

Buy credits to publish your articles on Al Bawaba Biz here

You May Also Like

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content