WISE announces new cohort for 2016-2017 learners’ Voice Program
The World Innovation Summit for Education (WISE) has announced a new cohort of outstanding young people who will be participating in the 2016-2017 Learners’ Voice Program.
Thirty-one young education advocates from diverse backgrounds and disciplines have been selected to join the international Learners’ Voice community and engage in global dialogue on pressing issues in education. The WISE Learners’ Voice Program brings the voice of young people to the challenge of rethinking education, and equips them with the skills to take on leading roles in their fields. The initiative focuses on building knowledge, as well as communication, entrepreneurship, and leadership skills.
In addition to their participation at the WISE Summit 2017, the Learners will participate in two intensive residential sessions delivered by experts, as well as in a variety of online and on-site activities. In a key component of the Learners’ Voice Program, due to start January 2017, the participants will form teams in order to conceive and design innovative projects that address critical education challenges. After thorough evaluation by the Learners’ Voice team, selected members will have an opportunity to pitch their proposals to an audience of potential investors, donors, and partners at the WISE Summit 2017 in Doha, Qatar.
“WISE is very excited to introduce the new cohort of the Learners’ Voice Program for 2016-17,” said Stavros N. Yiannouka, CEO, WISE. “The WISE team has worked hard to bring together a group of young people with diverse backgrounds and experience who nevertheless share a commitment to education as a means of individual empowerment and social transformation.
“A number of these young people were refugees and immigrants to new countries, and have already faced life-changing experiences and challenges. I am confident that they and their peers will bring to the WISE community powerful perspectives toward building the future of education,” continued Mr Yiannouka.
WISE is a global initiative of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF). Through its youth-empowerment initiative WISE brings the voices of young people to the challenge of building the future of education.
About the Learners’ Voice Program
The Learners’ Voice Program was established in 2010 to engage the views and creative energies of young people in addressing pressing global education issues and challenges. The current Learners’ Voice community comprises over 150 Learners from over 60 countries. They represent diverse backgrounds and disciplines but all share a passion for education. Together they represent a unique perspective within the WISE community.
About the World Innovation Summit for Education (WISE):
Qatar Foundation, under the leadership of its Chairperson, Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser, established the World Innovation Summit for Education in 2009. WISE is an international, multi-sectoral platform for creative thinking, debate and purposeful action. WISE has established itself as a global reference in new approaches to education. Through both the Summit and a range of on-going programs, WISE is promoting innovation and building the future of education through collaboration.
Additional relevant quotes from the Learners’ Voice:
Blojay PS Doe, Liberia
- I am very excited being a part of Learners’ Voice. It’s like being appreciated for something you have done, something which seems ordinary but important for you and your community.
- Being selected as a participant for Learners’ Voice is both an accomplishment and challenge for me – with the expectation of helping to tackle a serious challenge to your country’s development. My country is suffering a huge generational gap in education consequence of a prolonged civil crisis; and our system needs reform with the collective effort of all. That is why the Learners’ Voice Program is so important to me.
Guill Marc D. Mariano, Philippines
- I expect a full year packed with learning, from the mentors, facilitators, from the Learner’s Voice Team and from my fellow learners. I am looking forward to the trainings and the sharing from the experts in the field of education from all over the world.
Omar Rabie, Egypt
- From Learners’ Voice, I expect learning opportunities, international exposure, and maybe investment opportunities for our project. I want to be an entrepreneur, running and managing my own business, and I am sure Learners’ Voice will put me on the path to reach that.
Jiqi Yang, China/Canada
- I am super excited to be selected as a participant, and it means a busy and meaningful year ahead of me. It also means that my endeavor and efforts has been recognized by such a prestigious organization. I can’t wait to start my journey at Learners’ Voice program.
Oriol Pueyo, Spain
- I applied to the WISE Learners’ Voice Program because I want to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges in education. What gives me tremendous energies to move in that direction comes from my early childhood frustrations with my dyslexia. The educative system is outdated and full of inequalities, from neurological variations such as dyslexia or ADHD to gender or geographical inequalities. I believe the WISE Learners’ Voice Program will give me the necessary tools to boost my dreams into reality.
- The WISE Learners’ Voice Program is a unique opportunity to bring new and fresh ideas to the table and be listened. By meeting other driven individuals and receiving mentorship from some of the best professionals in the field I expect to transform some of my goals into reality and get engaged into projects that transform the world’s education.
Qatar Foundation (QF) is a non-profit organization made up of more than 50 entities working in education, research, and community development.
Our unique ecosystem—supported by partnerships with leading international institutions—is built on initiatives that address our most pressing challenges, create global opportunities, and empower people to shape our present and future.
Buy credits to publish your articles on Al Bawaba Biz here