Zoom Video Communications Reports Financial Results for the Second Quarter of Fiscal Year 2023
Zoom Video Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: ZM), today announced financial results for the second fiscal quarter ended July 31, 2022.
“In Q2, we continued to gain traction as the platform of choice for enterprises looking to deliver flexible, productive solutions for collaboration and customer engagement,” said Zoom founder and CEO, Eric S. Yuan. “Businesses are drawn to the Zoom platform because of our innovation and modern architecture. Our recently launched Zoom Contact Center and Zoom IQ for Sales products saw some great early wins while Zoom Phone delivered milestone results, hitting a record number of licenses sold in the quarter and reaching nearly 4 million seats, up more than 100% year over year.”
“In Q2, we delivered our fifth straight quarter with revenue of over one billion dollars. While we saw continued momentum with our Enterprise customers and our non-GAAP operating income came in meaningfully higher than our outlook, our revenue was impacted by the strengthening of the U.S. dollar, performance of the online business, and to a lesser extent sales weighted to the backend of the quarter,” said Zoom CFO, Kelly Steckelberg. “Consequently, we are now expecting to deliver FY23 revenue in the range of $4.385 billion to $4.395 billion. We remain focused on operational discipline, and continue to expect non-GAAP operating margin of approximately 33%.”
Second Quarter Fiscal Year 2023 Financial Highlights:
- Revenue: Total revenue for the second quarter was $1,099.5 million, up 8% year over year.
- Income from Operations and Operating Margin: GAAP income from operations for the second quarter was $121.7 million, compared to GAAP income from operations of $294.6 million in the second quarter of fiscal year 2022. After adjusting for stock-based compensation expense and related payroll taxes, and acquisition-related expenses, non-GAAP income from operations for the second quarter was $393.7 million, compared to non-GAAP income from operations of $424.7 million in the second quarter of fiscal year 2022. For the second quarter, GAAP operating margin was 11.1% and non-GAAP operating margin was 35.8%.
- Net Income and Diluted Net Income Per Share: GAAP net income attributable to common stockholders for the second quarter was $45.7 million, or $0.15 per share, compared to GAAP net income attributable to common stockholders of $316.9 million, or $1.04 per share in the second quarter of fiscal year 2022.
Non-GAAP net income for the second quarter was $323.5 million, after adjusting for stock-based compensation expense and related payroll taxes, losses (gains) on strategic investments, net, acquisition-related expenses, undistributed earnings attributable to participating securities, and the tax effects on non-GAAP adjustments. Non-GAAP net income per share was $1.05. In the second quarter of fiscal year 2022, non-GAAP net income was $415.1 million, or $1.36 per share.
- Cash and Marketable Securities: Total cash, cash equivalents, and marketable securities, excluding restricted cash, as of July 31, 2022 was $5.5 billion.
- Cash Flow: Net cash provided by operating activities was $257.2 million for the second quarter, compared to $468.0 million in the second quarter of fiscal year 2022. Adjusted free cash flow, which is net cash provided by operating activities less purchases of property and equipment, plus litigation settlement payments, net, was $222.1 million, compared to $455.0 million in the second quarter of fiscal year 2022.
Customer Metrics: Drivers of total revenue included acquiring new customers and expanding across existing customers. At the end of the second quarter of fiscal year 2023, Zoom had:
- Approximately 204,100 Enterprise customers, up 18% from the same quarter last fiscal year.
- A trailing 12-month net dollar expansion rate for Enterprise customers of 120%.
- 3,116 customers contributing more than $100,000 in trailing 12 months revenue, up approximately 37% from the same quarter last fiscal year.
Financial Outlook: Zoom is providing the following guidance for its third quarter fiscal year 2023 and its full fiscal year 2023.
- Third Quarter Fiscal Year 2023: Total revenue is expected to be between $1.095 billion and $1.100 billion and non-GAAP income from operations is expected to be between $325.0 million and $330.0 million. Non-GAAP diluted EPS is expected to be between $0.82 and $0.83 with approximately 306 million weighted average shares outstanding.
- Full Fiscal Year 2023: Total revenue is expected to be between $4.385 billion and $4.395 billion. Full fiscal year non-GAAP income from operations is expected to be between $1.440 billion and $1.450 billion. Full fiscal year non-GAAP diluted EPS is expected to be between $3.66 and $3.69 with approximately 307 million weighted average shares outstanding.
Additional information on Zoom's reported results, including a reconciliation of the non-GAAP results to their most comparable GAAP measures, is included in the financial tables below. A reconciliation of non-GAAP guidance measures to corresponding GAAP measures is not available on a forward-looking basis without unreasonable effort due to the uncertainty of expenses that may be incurred in the future, although it is important to note that these factors could be material to Zoom's results computed in accordance with GAAP.
A supplemental financial presentation and other information can be accessed through Zoom’s investor relations website at investors.zoom.us.
Zoom Video Earnings Call
Zoom hosted a Zoom Video Webinar for investors on August 22, 2022 at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time / 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time to discuss the company’s financial results, business highlights and financial outlook. Investors are invited to join the Zoom Video Webinar by visiting: https://investors.zoom.us/
Zoom Video Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: ZM) brings teams together to get more done in a frictionless and secure video environment. Our easy, reliable, and innovative video-first unified communications platform provides video meetings, voice, webinars, and chat across desktops, phones, mobile devices, and conference room systems. Zoom helps enterprises create elevated experiences with leading business app integrations and developer tools to create customized workflows. Founded in 2011, Zoom is headquartered in San Jose, California, with offices around the world.