Carpenter who Stabbed Roommate to Death Acquitted of Premeditated Murder

Published March 27th, 2018 - 12:58 GMT
A carpenter builds a coffin in his workshop (AFP/File Photo)
A carpenter builds a coffin in his workshop (AFP/File Photo)

A carpenter, who battered his roommate’s head with a pan and stabbed him to death, was acquitted of premeditated murder but will be admitted to a psychological center for rehabilitation.

The 56-year-old Indian carpenter had contended before the Dubai Court of First Instance that he was not aware of his actions when he woke up suddenly one evening, pounded his roommate’s head several times and then knifed him to death in his bed in December 2016.

Following a medical examination by a special panel of psychiatrists that assessed the suspect’s sanity, presiding judge Urfan Omar said on Monday: “The suspect has been acquitted and will be admitted to a psychological centre for rehabilitation.”

The suspect was cleared on grounds of lack of criminal liability.

He was found to be irresponsible and unaware of his actions at the time when the incident happened.

The 56-year-old had claimed that he didn’t intend to kill the victim whom he accused of poisoning his food several times before the murder.

Medical reports said the victim’s death was instant, his face was disfigured and the skull and facial bones were completely fractured due to the severity of the assault.
The carpenter was taken to a hospital a few hours after the attack, according to records, and was treated for self-inflicted knife wounds in his belly.

The incident happened in a labour accommodation in Al Qouz.



Prosecutors said the suspect battered the deceased with a pan repeatedly on his head when he was sleeping and stabbed him with a knife twice.

The suspect told the court earlier that he did not know why he had pounded the victim’s head with a pan and stabbed him with a knife.

“I do not know what happened to me. I was sleeping and woke up suddenly. I stabbed him but I did not intend to kill him … there was hostility between us. He and his friends previously tried to poison my meals several times,” he was heard telling the court.

A police lieutenant said the victim’s face was beyond recognition due to the brutality of the attack.

“The carpenter had been brought to hospital to treat for some knife wounds that he inflicted on himself in a suicide bid a few hours after the crime. During questioning, he said he killed the victim due to previous disputes … he alleged that the deceased used to ridicule him and film him while sleeping and circulate the photos among his friends. The suspect admitted that he had tried to kill himself with a knife that he purchased that day from a nearby supermarket,” the lieutenant said.

Monday’s ruling remains subject to appeal within 15 days.


This article has been adapted from its original source.

© Al Nisr Publishing LLC 2019. All rights reserved.

You may also like