Authorities urged parents to constantly monitor their children.
A seven-year-old girl was rescued unscathed by Oman police after she got trapped inside a washing machine. The girl named Salma was playing atop an abandoned washing machine in the family courtyard in Al Wadayat area on Sunday when its cover gave way, trapping her inside.
"Salma was playing with her brothers in the courtyard of our house She was playing atop an abandoned washing machine. The cover broke and she fell into it," Salma's father told Times of Oman. "I would like to thank the team from Public Authority for Civil Defence and Ambulance (PACDA) for their tireless efforts in rescuing my girl. It didn't take a long time for them to get her out," added the father.
Describing the rescue operation, an official from PACDA said, "The rescue team was immediately deployed to the location. Specific types of equipment were used to cut through the sides of the machine in order to ensure the safety of the child during the operation, as pulling the child out directly could have severely injured her." The official added, "Thankfully, in this scenario, the washing machine was old and nonfunctional else the girl could have been electrocuted or possibly lost her life."
Since the incident, authorities urged parents to "constantly monitor their children, whether they are indoors or outdoors, as children cannot differentiate between dangerous and safe situations". Besides, authorities asked parents not to allow children to tamper with electrical appliances as well. Earlier this year, a four-year-old boy from Colorado got trapped in a newly-installed washing machine in the house while the parents were asleep. The machine started running with the child tumbling inside the drum.
While in another incident in June, a three-year-old boy died in the Polish city of Slupsk, after accidentally locking himself inside a washing machine during a game of hide and seek with his sister. The boy was found in a critical state by his father who immediately called emergency services. The boy was rushed to a nearby hospital where medics performed resuscitation for over an hour but he could not be saved.
This article has been adapted from its original source.
Copyright © 2019 Khaleej Times. All Rights Reserved.