Kuwaiti minister resigns over alleged Syrian jihad links

Published May 13th, 2014 - 03:49 GMT

Kuwait's Justice and Islamic Affairs Minister Nayef al-Ajmi has resigned after a senior US official said he called for militancy in Syria and promoted the funding of terrorism.

On Monday, Ajmi said that the Persian Gulf state’s monarch Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Jaber Al Sabah had accepted his resignation.

"I thank His Highness the Emir for accepting my resignation and for understanding my reasons," he wrote on his Twitter account.

Kuwaiti media reported last month that Ajmi had already offered to resign once, citing health reasons.

US Treasury Undersecretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence David Cohen said in March that Ajmi has a history of promoting militancy in Syria, and that his image had featured on fundraising posters for a financier of the al-Qaeda-affiliated al-Nusra Front operating inside Syria.

Last month, Ajmi rejected Cohen’s comments as "groundless and baseless."

He acknowledged he had taken part in fundraising campaigns for Syria, but insisted they had been for humanitarian purposes and not for the terrorist Nusra Front.

Syria has been gripped by deadly violence since 2011. Over 150,000 people have reportedly been killed and millions displaced due to the violence fueled by Western-backed militants.

According to reports, the Western powers and their regional allies -- especially Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Turkey -- are supporting the militants operating inside Syria.

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said last month that the Takfiri war in his country had strongly shifted in favor of government forces as they had made continuous gains in their battle against terrorists.


Copyright © 2022 Press TV. All rights reserved.

You may also like